Allemande Joy Tour 2018
Julie Anspach continues the tradition started by Ron and Cathy Arps and is bringing Allemande Joy contra tour to NZ February 2018.
Those wishing to shadow the tour or catch more dances can join Allemande Joy facebook group to get regular updates.
This year the tour will be spending more time in fewer places. Rather than have a contra weekend to interact with them as we did in 2016, 2014 and 2012, we hope those interested will come to Nelson Contra Week 5-11 February where they will start their tour.
NZ Contra Dance Schedule:
- Wednesday 7 Feb Nelson Victory Community 214 Vanguard St
- Thursday 8 Feb Nelson Victory Community 214 Vanguard St
- Saturday 10 Feb Nelson Victory Community 214 Vanguard St
- Tuesday 13 Feb Hokitika St Andrews Hall
- Friday 16 Feb Christchurch Opawa School Hall
- Monday 19 Feb Mt Cook Aoraki Mt Cook Community Building
- Friday 23 Feb Te Anau Fiordland Community Events Centre
- Saturday 24 Feb Community Contra Dance Dunedin
- Monday 26 Feb Advanced Contra Dance Dunedin
- Wednesday 28 Feb Contra Dance Owaka Community Hall
The tour contra callers:
Barbara Smith, Chris Deephouse, Donna Hunt, Ed Hall, Mike Boerschig and Tina Fields.
The musicians on the tour:
- Arlene Jamar: Keyboard
- Aubrey Swift: Fiddle, Mandolin, Guitar, Upright Bass
- Betsy Foote: Fiddle
- Glenn Lee: Accordion
- Mike Boerschig: Guitar
- Rob Lindauer: Viola
- Robin Fox: Fiddle
- Tom Gebhardt: Percussion
When Ron and Cathy Arps came to NZ in 1998 for a wwoofing holiday, they fell in love with the country. Only their favorite dance form was missing. They started a biennial contra tour bringing dancers, musicians and callers to NZ. As a result there are now many contra dances throughout New Zealand.